Reversing the data pyramid – raising metadata awareness
Are we overloading the system (web) with metadata?
First we digitized our knowledge, and businesses, then our conversations (the IM, one on one model expended to the micro blogging broadcasting model that is now searchable), lately we digitized our relationships and preferences using social networks. Yet, the most prominent change that is hard not to notice on the web is the explosion of metadata; the data about the data.
- Links to pictures, videos, blog posts and more are tagged, annotated and rated.
- Conversations are Stared (favorite), and #hashtaged.
- Blog info contains author, Tags, Tag Cloud, rank, authority and more.
- Public bookmarks and news items allow searching for the person who saved/submitted/dugged/rated them.
- Profile data is expended beyond static information like name, address and DOB to include experiences.
- Each one of us now owns a News feed generated by our mini network’s activities.
- The FOAF and XFN protocols adds metadata programmatically about relationship between individuals.
- More relationships and meanings’ defining protocols are developed and adopted by semantic search engines and social networks. You can now find a lot of information today about the data.
Almost any object on the web today is wraped with meta information about it.
An intresting question is what is the current ratio: metadata/data and how quickly does it grow? But, the most important question in my opinion is: Will it help to find and organize what that we need, when we need it? Will we see an inverse of the current data pyramid or will it only bury important information with too much data about the data?
This extra data that we and many new applications generates today has the promise to organize the data better for our needs. Yet, at the same time it does overwhelmingly increase the amount of information out there.
So my question is does it also increase the tasks of searching, processing, organizing, filtering and presenting valuable information for us or does it make it more efficient?
- What are the most interesting or popular probability puzzles in which the intuition is contrary to the solution? qr.ae/gV5dh 5 hours ago
- instagram.com/p/sYbMgtAmCf/ 21 hours ago
- Interesting read about map reduce misuse via Quora qr.ae/bTx06 5 days ago
|Social-Media News |… on Social media role in deliverin…|
|julia on How to map your SaaS sales…|
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- December 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007