I had a great time at Podcamp4 Boston yesterday but I left it with some sense of urgency. I can’t write now a long post explaining each point in detail because I’m running out of time leaving for my vacation so for now I will leave these points short and simple for you to think about.
Urgency for what?
- To start branding yourself today in order to mitigate near future economical and social changes.
- To get into social networks now while you still have access to business leaders, and influencers before they shut you off.
- To collect data that may not be there tomorrow:
- Network data – your contacts database
- Conversation – targeted conversational data (taged)
- Brand related – what people are saying about you, your company, and product
Self branding – with population growing old and poor you need to take care of your future career now before it is too late. Read about self branding here.
Access – you can still chat and build relationships with CEOs and influencers on Twitter and Facebook. Yet, I do see examples of people stepping back from this open fall all policy.
- Depth of data – I built few tools for searching Twitter using Twitter Search API and I keep seeing the guys at Twitter shortening the duration that you can query back for (less than two weeks back).
- Another thing is that you don’t want to become too dependent on digital network as the only way to access your contacts. What if it is down for a day or two (or more)?
There is no better time than now to start participating. Your thoughts?
I registered today to the Boston Podcamp4 event that is scheduled for August 8-9, 2009.
This is my first Podcamp, and I’m very much looking forward to hear and see some of the social media protagonists that I followed only on social media channels till now.
Here are some of the speakers, and organizers:
Are you going? Do you have any suggestion for making more out of this event?
See you there.